Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

above 4 years and still cannot speak a complete sentence

Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
Dear Doctors,
My son is now 4 years and 2 months now. All of his behaviour is very good,be it social indulgence, eye contact , understanding and listenning properly but there are few things which worries me a lot. First at this age he is not able to speak a complete sentence he says "Give chocolotae" instead "Give ME chocolate" He does not use I,me, You, We and all. I went to many Autism knowledge base site and even prepared M-Chat also , he passed M-CHAT but I am not satisfied yet. My finding is that he tries too much effort to speak, some times blows his cheek like a balloon. Where to go? I met with one nuerologist , he says he has mild autism but i do not want to go in wrong direction leads to disaster later. PLEASE HELP
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper adricat
|

replied July 7th, 2011
It sounds like your son may have PDD, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder. This is a little different from autism but has similiar symptoms, but they are different enough to be a seperate diagnosis. The treatments are similar.. medical, environmental and educational support will help your son have the very best potential he can. He doesn't sound too severe from what you said.. maybe everything will be just fine and he's just marching to his own beat right now. Kudos to you for wanting to do the right thing and find out though.. so many people are in denial and it only hurts their children. Best of luck to you.
|
Users who thank adricat for this post: shahzadyusuf 

replied July 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi; look up Albert Einstein's story because as a child he had many problems.
try to be patient enjoy all u have with your child
good luck
|

replied July 13th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Would it be worth speaking to your family doctor about getting your son referred to a speech therapist? to help devlope his speech skills.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
Seeing a young child go through something like this is never an easy thing. I’m sorry that your son is having trouble with his speech, but it is good that his other behaviors such as listening and eye contact are more normal. Have you ever heard of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy? Even if he doesn’t have Autism, it has the potential to make a tremendous difference in his speech. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a method of treatment where your body receives oxygen at a pressurized level, flooding parts of the body with oxygen where it may not have been previously reaching. More oxygen creates healthier cells, and healthier cells equals healthier tissues and organs! Multiple studies have been done, with many cases showing significant signs of treatment after sessions. I’ve also included a link to a young boy with Austism, Michael Inclan of Tampa Bay Florida. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has really made a difference in his life. I’d love to give you more information if you’re interested.

Michael Inclan and Hyperbarics http://bit.ly/oQ0Z86

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy http://bit.ly/q83wIW
|

replied May 27th, 2012
My son is four. Thinking of going for a Naturopathic doctor. His attention span is poor and eye contact as well. I would appreciate if you could provide more information.
|