Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Abortion at 22 weeks (Page 1)

Hi I had an abortion at 22 weeks. Could the baby have been viable at that gestational age...Its really haunting me, I would really like to know...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper brittntc
|

replied January 29th, 2009
fetal viability
First of all, you might want to consider talking to someone about the guilt; even if you know it was the right thing there can still be painful feelings.
Secondly, it's not likely; Fetal viability is generally believed to be about 24 weeks, or 5 months; and even that's stretching it. It would be virtually impossible that, had you went into labor, the baby or fetus would have survived; in fact it would probably have been termed a late miscarriage by your doctor. I know a few women who had premature births at 7 or 8 months, and their babies died.
|

replied July 8th, 2011
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article- 1021034/The-tiniest-survivor-How-miracle-b aby-born-weeks-legal-abortion-limit-clung- life-odds.html Someone had a baby born before the legal abortion limit and they survived! I don't understand where you all are coming from or where you get your information but babies can feel pain, one baby when being aborted clung onto the mother, another baby you could see in the ultrasound tried to scoot away from the needle that was going to kill them. They feel pain. They are babies from Day 1. At the moment of conception. Science confirms that.
|

replied August 16th, 2011
I have recently had an abortion at 23weeks and it was the worst decision I have ever made.I went into labor and the pain was unimaginable. I now ask God to give her back to me but it was my decision and it is something i have to live with for the rest of my life.I cry every time I think of her..I guess you never understand how it feels until you experience it.
To anyone considering having an abortion please please don't.
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
i had an abortion at 22 weeks and i remember the nurse asking me if i wanted a picture before the abortion,, at that moment i said no that i wanted no memories!,,,now i yearn for even the thought of my baby i neglected to know the gender or anything now i ask god to forgive me even though i know that if i was him i wouldnt. i only thought about my pain and not my babys pain it must of been horrid to be torn into pieces i dont care about my pain anymore i deserve everybit but if your out there!! and are considering it dont!! evrything in time falls into place taking your own sons daughters life is not the answer theire kisses and hugs can mean the world...now i will never know if my babys hands could one day have smothered me because i was stupid enough to say yes to an abortion!! PLEASE DONT DO AN ABORTION!!
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
i had an abortion at 22 weeks and i remember the nurse asking me if i wanted a picture before the abortion,, at that moment i said no that i wanted no memories!,,,now i yearn for even the thought of my baby i neglected to know the gender or anything now i ask god to forgive me even though i know that if i was him i wouldnt. i only thought about my pain and not my babys pain it must of been horrid to be torn into pieces i dont care about my pain anymore i deserve everybit but if your out there!! and are considering it dont!! evrything in time falls into place taking your own sons daughters life is not the answer theire kisses and hugs can mean the world...now i will never know if my babys hands could one day have smothered me because i was stupid enough to say yes to an abortion!! PLEASE DONT DO AN ABORTION!!
|

replied August 16th, 2011
I have recently had an abortion at 23weeks and it was the worst decision I have ever made.I went into labor and the pain was unimaginable. I now ask God to give her back to me but it was my decision and it is something i have to live with for the rest of my life.I cry every time I think of her..I guess you never understand how it feels until you experience it.
To anyone considering having an abortion please please don't.
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
A fetus is considered viable at 24 weeks this day in age. There was (according to my doctor)a 4% chance, utilizing all medical efforts, that your fetus could have been viable. Even if it did live, medical issues related to prematurity could be a life issue, even a life-threatening issue. I agree with jmccall that you do need to talk to someone about your guilt. I am pretty sure you had what you considered to be excellent reasons for wanting the abortion. jmccall is also correct about the terminology: any fetus born still or not alive before 24 weeks is considered a miscarriage. After 24 weeks, it is considered a stillbirth. At least for the general population. Some doctors will lable a very wanted miscarried fetus after 20 weeks a stillbirth to comfort grieving parents, but the general medical population considers stillbirth at and over 24 weeks and miscarriage before 24 weeks. All in all, its not about what you want to call it. There was a VERY low chance your fetus could have survived. And what kind of medical issues it could have faced had you asked the doctors to try to rescussitate...cerebal palsy, heart defects, bleeding in the brain, bronchopumonary dysplasia (I lost my very wanted son, who was born at 24 weeks gestation to bronchopulmonary dysplasia...its a condition of the lungs due to prematurity, he had to be on constant oxygen and had a tracheostomy tube put in. He lived like this for 5 months before passing away due to complications). You should talk to a counsellor or somebody about your guilt, your grief, your concerns. You really should. I only hope the best for you and hope you see the silver lining. Best of luck.
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
I know how you feel, but no
Hi I just had mid-second trimester abortion myself. while I knew that the fetus was not viable, there is no denying that for me, the gestational date is the hardest thing for me to accept about my abortion. The vast majority of abortions take place during the first trimester and it seems that so few women who do have second trimester abortions talk about it.

I hope that you are doing OK.

|

replied October 30th, 2009
i am currently almost 21 weeks pregnant and will most likely have a abortion in the next week or so.
I found out on my 20 week scan my baby has down syndrome (an amniosentesis confrimed this) and will have heart and other abnormalities.
i had a down syndrome screen and combined blood and urine test at 13 weeks to exclude down syndrome as a possibility in my child. i also has NUMEROUS ultrasounds between weeks 11 and 15 as i experience some bleeding whilst pregnant.
Now that i have gotten this sudden terrible news i am not confident i can support a child with special needs. I am 22 years old and my husband and i wee looking forward to our new arrival with only happiness.
It breaks my heart to think my little boy will suffer heart problems resulting in dozens of operations and even then he may not mkae it, but i am torn up thinking i am killing and rejecting my own child.i hope one day i can move on.
|

replied April 25th, 2011
viable and handicapped
babies are considered viable from 21 weeks on why would you have an abortion for a down syndrome? My cousin is down syndrome and she is a perfect human being she cares and plays like any other child yes the road is rough with a down syndrome but u made the choice to make the baby! Its not the baby's fault that you cant handle the stress of a handicapped child don't kill the baby give them to someone who can handle the needs of the baby.
|

replied March 21st, 2010
I am not judging you, because I believe God is the only one who can judge. But, I am currently 22 weeks pregnant, and I am hoping that you did not choose to get rid of your baby just because you did not feel like having a child.. I mean, unless there was something medically wrong with your baby, why did you choose to wait so long? My baby moves all the time, and I know that I have a live human in me. I just could never imagine getting rid of her.
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
You need to talk to someone about your guilt but in the end you made a choice that was right for you.

Ask yourself why you had an abortion and what would have happened if you didn't, both answers are right but one outweighs the other right? Choices in life are hard, we may not like them but we do need to own up to them or come to term with our decisions.

If you are worried what other people think, don't be, somepeople can be real douchebags about it but in the end are they going to be in your everyday life? Worry about yourself mentally and physically and remember that there is a reason for everything.
|

replied July 8th, 2011
If I had guilt that if I killed you but it was right for me is that okay then?
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
Experienced User
Re: Abortion at 22 weeks
Soon2B2 wrote:
Hi I had an abortion at 22 weeks. Could the baby have been viable at that gestational age...Its really haunting me, I would really like to know...

Yes, there is a small chance it could have but that ship has sailed and now you need to take care of yourself. Sounds like maybe you are carrying around some guilt and possibly regret. (Sorry, if I am wrong about that). I agree with the other ladies, that if you are feeling guilt/regret, it may not be a bad idea to get some counciling to help you deal with this. Good luck
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
I think the lady was trying to justify the abortion she had at 22 weeks. I can even begin to imagine getting rid of a life at that gestational age because at that time like the other poster mentioned you can feel the baby moving inside of you. She will be haunted forever for what she did no doubt about it. I think for someone who has done such thing my advice would be to accept the mistake and turn life around for good, like helping those in need. Try save lives from now on.
|

replied April 15th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
The OP didn't mention why she had an abortion at 22 weeks. I cannot imagine aborting at this gestation either but, then again, I've never been in the situation where it may be an option. Maybe there were problems with the pregnancy (either maternal or foetal); something that is particularly likely with abortion at this gestation. She asked a question and got it answered, loving the judgement though
|

replied October 1st, 2010
abortion at 22 weeks
Before people make judgement you need to ask why the abortion is being done. If there is a major fetal abnormality then the decision is a given - my son was born at 28 weeks with major neurological, lung and other complications. if this was to happen again there is no doubt I would abort at 22 weeks, it sometimes takes this long to realise your unborm child has an issue so those who think they will save the world need to ask the questions first before making judgement.
|

replied February 25th, 2011
Regardless of the abnormalities or specialities your baby may need I dont find that murder-yes thats how i feel about it is the way to fix anything. Would you want someone to kill you because you have down syndrome???Would you want someone to kill you because you arent like everyone else??5fingers 3 toes that baby is a person!!!I am having issues with this for my sister is 22weeks and shes having an abortion because she doesn't want to have another child in a broken home(recent break up) and she wont have it and give it up for adoption because she dont want the "dad" to have it!!!How selfish is that???My daughter is 5months old and he is the father to my child-yes weird-but she chose that-and he is great with kids!why would you kill your baby just to make sure he can't have her!FRUSTRATED!!
|

replied February 25th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
bells310 wrote:
Regardless of the abnormalities or specialities your baby may need I dont find that homicide-yes thats how i feel about it is the way to fix anything. Would you want someone to kill you because you have down syndrome???Would you want someone to kill you because you arent like everyone else??5fingers 3 toes that baby is a person!!!I am having issues with this for my sister is 22weeks and shes having an abortion because she doesn't want to have another child in a broken home(recent break up) and she wont have it and give it up for adoption because she dont want the "dad" to have it!!!How selfish is that???My daughter is 5months old and he is the father to my child-yes weird-but she chose that-and he is great with kids!why would you kill your baby just to make sure he can't have her!FRUSTRATED!!

Your frustration is completely irrelevant to anyone else's decision. You are a nasty piece of work if you think that accusing someone who heinous crimes is a rational way to conduct yourself. You are entitled to whatever views on abortion and adoption, but you do not have the right to tell anyone else how they should perceive her own body.

Furthermore, your use of excessive punctuation is painful. How would you like it if I told you you HAD to take an English class?
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Do I have the right to kill you then? Who cares what others think of it it's MY opinion right?
|

replied July 8th, 2011
I just wanted to point out that your logic doesn't make sense.
|

replied July 24th, 2011
Quote:
You are a nasty piece of work if you think that accusing someone who heinous crimes is a rational way to conduct yourself.

I love this statement. Another way to rewrite it is "You should go to Hell for judging me."
It's a paradox, which is to say, it can't happen.

Quote:
You are entitled to whatever views on abortion and adoption, but you do not have the right to tell anyone else how they should perceive her own body."

I think I sense some relativism here. And anyways, the whole point is that the baby, which is to say the preborn, is not part of the mother's body.
|

replied April 26th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Re: viable and handicapped
majictiger2005 wrote:
why would you have an abortion for a down syndrome? My cousin is down syndrome and she is a perfect human being she cares and plays like any other child yes the road is rough with a down syndrome but u made the choice to make the baby! Its not the baby's fault that you cant handle the stress of a handicapped child don't kill the baby give them to someone who can handle the needs of the baby.

Maybe they can't handle a downs child, maybe they don't want to carry a downs baby for the rest of the pregnancy. Lots of reasons really. I imagine it's heartbreaking for a couple to abort a wanted child for foetal abnormalities, don't minimise that. Just because your family coped doesn't mean everyone will. I know for a fact I would abort if I was carrying a downs foetus.
|

replied May 11th, 2011
Abortion 22 weeks
After reading the posts I feel so very sad.
I cant understand why wait until your 22 weeks?
at 22 weeks it is a baby fully formed with a strong heartbeat, and can hear your voice, and you can feel it move, But you choose to either have sealine injected into the fluid around the baby so it wil be scalded to death or you decide to have the baby torn apart to have it removed. if you dont belive me look it up on you tube watch the silent scream vid. look at what you do to your baby see the tiny legs, hands, intestines all in pieces you throw away like garbage.
If you dont want your baby why the hell cant you give it to someone who will never feel those little kicks,or count the tiny little fingers hold that tiny little person close and never want to let go, watch them sleeping, and melt when they give ya that big gummy smile. If only you would give the baby to someone who wants the baby,
|

replied November 6th, 2012
To end suffering or not?
I am almost 20 weeks pregnant and I also just found out that my quad screen came back positive for possible Down syndrome. I pray to God that my baby is ok and the test is a false positive. I am having amniocentesis testing tomorrow and am terrified. I love my baby and I treasure every kick and movement my child makes inside me. But if this test confirms that my baby has down syndrome I will not be able to have her/him. I believe life is hard enough even when the baby is born healthy. Starting life handicapped just would not be fair to my baby and although I am capable of caring for this baby even with special needs and my husband is extremely supportive it just would not be fair to my baby to live a life with something so severe and to have so many health problems to start with would be too painful for my child. To think of the possible painful surgeries my baby might have to undergo is too much to bare because babies feel pain as much if not more than an adult. Nobody has the right to judge my decision especially if they are not in the same situation. I want this baby more than anything but I can't be selfish and put my child through so much pain for the rest of their life regardless how long or how short.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Abortion 22 weeks
sky475 wrote:

I cant understand why wait until your 22 weeks?

Didn't know they were pregnant? Foetal abnormalities? Maternal health problems?

The OP did not mention why she aborted. Most people abort before 12 weeks, abortions at this stage are generally for foetal abnormality or maternal health problems.

sky475 wrote:
if you dont belive me look it up on you tube watch the silent scream vid. look at what you do to your baby see the tiny legs, hands, intestines all in pieces you throw away like garbage.

Not that old gem lol Why would someone want to watch propaganda? Doctors are legally obliged to explain procedures before treatment, you are aware of what happens during an abortion (of course without trying to sentimentalise it).

sky475 wrote:
If you dont want your baby why the hell cant you give it to someone who will never feel those little kicks,or count the tiny little fingers hold that tiny little person close and never want to let go, watch them sleeping, and melt when they give ya that big gummy smile. If only you would give the baby to someone who wants the baby,

Maybe you don't want to be pregnant? Maybe it's not my responsibility to birth children for those who can't? Maybe people should adopt one of the millions of children already born needing a family instead of expecting a newborn?
|
Users who thank Moo for this post: Darkmoon 

replied May 17th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, I don't get this "I want a baby" bollocks. Unless someone is able to say, "I want a teenager", they shouldn't have a baby. Just like someone who doesn't want a cat shouldn't be allowed to have a kitten.
|
Users who thank oopoop for this post: Moo 

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2011
Experienced User
oopoop wrote:
Yeah, I don't get this "I want a baby" bollocks. Unless someone is able to say, "I want a teenager", they shouldn't have a baby. Just like someone who doesn't want a cat shouldn't be allowed to have a kitten.

Exactly. Looking after a baby is very different to looking after a teenager. They both have very different needs and wants. To be honest it seems to me like half the teenagers who say they "want a baby", really don't know what looking after a child actually means and are really not thinking about the fact that it isn't going to stay a "cute giggly baby" forever. It's going to grow up to be a rebellious teenager who wants her own way and might throw a strop if you tell her you don't want her going out dressed like THAT. (I'm not saying all teenagers are like this, but some are).
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Why would you have guilt? Because it's not the right there dear. Abortion is murder no matter what sugar coat you put on it to make it sound like its not. Just like stealing is stealing, lying is lying, cheating is cheating, no matter what word you use for it.

Also, for the people who are saying that we shouldn't have babies because they would be teenagers, is the world just going to die off because no one wants to deal with teens? You were a teen too, do you wish your mom didn't have you because she didn't want to deal with your teen years?
|

replied July 24th, 2011
While I am prolife, you need to make sure that your priorities are straight. Make sure that your priorities are not intended to bash those who did wrong, but rather to save the pre-born.

Your username implies that you are a Christian, in which case you are called to hate sin, and not the sinner.

Just make sure that you are attacking the issue itself, and not those who are defending it. Try to avoid the "ad hominem" fallacy.
|

replied July 26th, 2011
Yes I agree that I am to hate the sin and not the sinner which I certainly hope it came across as that. I hope no one here feels like I was attacking them personally, I was just attacking their actions. Although I feel as though I was already doing that, I thank you for the reminder.
|

replied December 6th, 2011
Experienced User
NO need for aplolgizes I agreed with everything you said. All people care about is self indulgence... if you know that you arent equipped to deal with preganancy, special needs, or a baby in general which are all possiblities when you engage in unprotected sex then maybe some of the posters should consider birth control or hysterectomys... or better yet keep their legs closed. Its not my place to judge but I do not respect that decision anymore then I respect the murder of an adult or toddler...its sad and disgusting.
|

replied December 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
It is sad and disgusting that someone is so full of their own virtue and self-importance, that they value a speck of lint more than they do a human being. Really, the people we need to stop from breeding are the nasty busybodies who think they can tell other people what to do with their bodies or their sex organs.

You are right, it is not your place to judge. You have utterly vile opinions, and you should really hope that you never find yourself in a difficult situation, because your head would probably explode from having to think about real choices.
|
Users who thank oopoop for this post: Darkmoon 

replied December 21st, 2011
Experienced User
LOL You are hilarious I dont use "difficult situations" "the rights to my sex organs" etc to justify making selfish choices... I don't preach and I am not a perfect person by any means but I don't blurr my morals to fit my choices... I know whats right and wrong for ME and I will always stand by that... to each its own there are people who will justfy anything for the sake of self... rape, murder,theft,abuse the list goes on... Im not one of those people hunny I wont feign ignorance or being a victim to sooth my concience.... I hold myself to a certain standard and I am accountable when I fall below it. Get a dose of reality and stand for something real... poking fun at someone for not condoning the murder of a speacial needs baby its the most noble of causes. And you don't know a thing about me or what REAL choices I have made, get a life. And as far as my 'breeding' luckily I have two wonderful children that are inteligent beautiful loving little people in a world where that is a rarity I can only hope that they rub off on people like you. Nothing more disgusting than ignorance Smile
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Quick Reply