Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Abortion at 27 weeks

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I just found out that my 15 year old son has gotten his girlfriend of the same age pregnant. Now the problem is not that she is pregnant but she waited until she was approx. 24 weeks preg. Now she is about 26-27 weeks along and her mother is insisting on an abortion. We live in Oregon, and I know that nobody here will perform the procedure due to the time. Now the girls mother wants to take her to Colorado and get procedure done, the cost is suppose to be between 7000 to 10,000 dollars. Please someone tell me that this procedure can not be preformed at this stage in the ball game. To be honest I dont agree with the abortion(s) but under certain circumstances so PLEASE somebody shed light on my situation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2008
Experienced User
Re: Can someone please assist me with answers to my confusion
grandma mo wrote:
I just found out that my 15 year old son has gotten his girlfriend of the same age pregnant. Now the problem is not that she is pregnant but she waited until she was approx. 24 weeks preg. Now she is about 26-27 weeks along and her mother is insisting on an abortion. We live in Oregon, and I know that nobody here will perform the procedure due to the time. Now the girls mother wants to take her to Colorado and get procedure done, the cost is suppose to be between 7000 to 10,000 dollars. Please someone tell me that this procedure can not be preformed at this stage in the ball game. To be honest I dont agree with the abortion(s) but under certain circumstances so PLEASE somebody shed light on my situation.

Yikes! That is a pretty bad situation. Although I am pro-choice, this is kinda late for an abortion IMO. Of course it is not up to anyone but the person who is pregnant. Has anyone asked her what she wants to do? She is about 6 1/2 months, and the fetus has a 90% chance of surviving if it was born at this point. Has anyone spoken to the mother or daughter about the possibility of adoption? Why is her mother insisting she abort?

25 States have banned partial birth abortion, and Colorado is not one of them. (I don't think Oregon is either) Legally, she will be able to have the procedure.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Lucky315_ PBA does not have to be used for abortions 27+ weeks...

Labor and delivery abortion can be used, and regular later term D&E is used.

Usually the doctor in Colorado will only terminate past 26 weeks for a MEDICAL reason.

IF she tells the clinic that she does not want an abortion, they will not do it. BUT SHE HAS TO TELL THEM NO.
|