Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

abnormal vaginal discharge in teen

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hi everyone, thanks for reading my question. I'm a 16 year old female, and ive been on the birth control pill for about 4-ish years. It mainly started to help control my menstrual cramps, however, ive lately become sexually active. The dotor doesnt ask me if i would like to schedule a pap? So therefore, i've never had one done. Its been a while now, but i have weird discharge in my underwear that makes me feel very wet and uncomfotable. Sometimes it's clear, other times its a milky white and sometimes times, usually the second week into my pills, i get a red tinge to the discharge. It doesnt have a HORRIBLE, unbearable smell, but i notice the smell when i use the washroom, and i cant really describe it. Its been happening for a while, however, i've just assumed this happens to every female. Also, when im sexually aroused, i find my vagina a lot "wetter" than normal. I know that the vagina secrete a self lubricant during this time.. but?
Is there something wrong? Some sort of infection i should be worried about?
Thanks for reading! All comments are more than welcomed!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 25th, 2008
Experienced User
Ofcourse not!

You're as normal as anyone else.

I also get unbearably slippery (hehe) It kinda sucks becuase it sometimes minimizes feeling - but i try to pay less attention to the psychological aspect of intimacy, it tends to decrease how lubey I get down there, and it helps overall.

As for discharge, it comes in all colours, quantities and scents. It depends on the day. If you haven't showered for a few days, it may smell a little fuinny, if you're ovulating, you'll certainly have much more than normal. The colour can range from clear, whitish, cream coloured, to pinkish or brown.

We've all experienced it, and it's always different.

Don't worry; you're very much normal.
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You could have a yeast infection if this discharge is different than normal in terms of quantity, smell, and color. You will not be getting discharge due to ovulation because you don't ovulate since you're on birth control pills.

You can ask your doctor for a pap smear, how's he/she supposed to know you want one unless you ask! Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2008
Experienced User
dramaqueen, there are good points made by officer jagger and maddie above. i would like to add that i too think you are pretty much normal. the only other thing i have to add is that as maddie said, you have to ask the doctor for a pap.

not only that, but as you are becoming an adult, it's good for you to understand that YOU and ONLY YOU are responsible for taking care of yourself when it comes to health issues. this is a good lesson to learn at your age. you should take responsibility for these issues. don't wait on your mom to do it or your doctor. you do it.

if you have this kind of attitude where you take control of your own healthcare destiny (so to speak), you are taking a huge step in the direction of becoming an adult. you should also parlez this into your future sexual relationships as well...where you are responsible for your own health...and not someone else. it's fine for a sexual partner to take a responsible role (that's great) but don't depend on them doing the right thing by you...rely on YOURSELF for that.

good luck sweetie, you came to the right place for advice concerning this type of stuff. ask any other questions you may have freely.
jasmine
|

replied December 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are experiencing what sounds like normal vaginal discharge. The vaginal secretions change throughout the month in response to hormonal flux and change. This is completely normal. Talk to your doctor about a pap smear. It is a good idea to have an annual pap after becoming sexually active.
|

replied November 29th, 2009
this also concerned me because at first wheni had discharge i went to get a pap and they told me i had chlamydia. thn i did wat i had to do to getrid of it and wasnt sexually active for a whle. when i became intimate agan i always used condoms but now i have discharge againbut without scent this time. are you sure its normal?
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
im same age and have exactly the same symptons. i read through the comments im still quite worried because mines not how mine usually is. i usually get very little discharge n its usually clearish white. but now its thick and there is alot of it and i can feel it in my underwear its kinda like custard in a way. it smells quite bad aswell. my vagina is a little swollen aswell and VERY itchy.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Vaginal discharge
I need help I don't get this so I'm 12 almost 13 haven't had my Period or any sexual activity but I get that white milky stuff to does that mean my period is close or am I abnormal?
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Community Volunteer
If the discharge does not smell bad, it is most likely a sign that your estrogen levels are beginning to raise and you are getting closer to starting your periods. Normally you will get your periods around 18 months after the very first time your nipples started to become more prominent (even before your breasts started developing).

Estrogen will make your inner lips and vagina pink and puffier, and it is responsible for your vaginal discharge. It will make your hymen thicker, and make it pull back to the edge of your vaginal entrance to form an elastic ring.

If you do have an itch/burn, or a smelly discharge, you may have an infection like an yeast infection.

Talk to your mom about this if you are worried.

Take care!
|