Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Abnormal Pap Smear Scare

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I had my pap a couple of weeks ago and got the dreaded call from the Doctor's office that she wanted to see me earlier regarding my results. Without hesitation I went to see her. She said that the results came back as ASCUS/AGUS and that she wants to do a colo. She said not to worry, but this incident has spurred a great deal of anxiety for me.

As no one wants to think they're sick, I have wondered if some factors did not contribute to this result. For instance, it was actually taken on the last day of my mense although the bleeding had stopped the day before. I had douched the day before the pap not knowing that it isn't recommended as well as tampons. Mostly, just prior to the pap I had had my copper IUD removed. I have had one monogomous partner.

I am really nervous about this result.

If indeed something is abnormal, what is the treatment for the condition and could the result be due to the circumstances surrounding the time it was done?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2010
Supporter
A pap smear is used to find abnormal, precancerous, or cancerous cells in the cervix. Douching and wearing tampons will not change the makeup of your cervical cells. I know it's eaisier said than done, but don't borrow trouble. You do not know if you have HPV or cervical cancer so don't assume that is the case. I have had two abnormal papsmears and two colposcopies in the past three years.(With one I was scraped and during the other procedure, the doc took a biopsy.) It turns out that I am fine.
For some people, surgery is called for. Others take medications and some have chemo. It just depends on how adfvanced it is. I know a woman who was diagnosed with cervical cancer while she was pregnant. She went on to have a second child and is healthy now.
|

replied May 5th, 2010
Thanks. Whatever it is I''m gung ho to treat it!
|

replied October 27th, 2010
Abnormal Pap
I had my doctor call me for the same problem. Turned out he staff forgot to note in the lab paper work that I have the copper T on. Its out that the cells are normal for someone that has the T. Go figure after all the worry, I was fine.
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Am 23 yrs, i had my fist child when i was 20 after giving birth my pap came up normal, so i got the cooper iud, but a few weeks later the pain was unberable, so i got it removed the doc. told me that the person who put it in didn't do it right so that cause the pain, after my second child my pap came up abnormal, i had a colp done last year, but the doc found nothing, i got a pap last week and came up abnormal asc-us positive hpv again and am schedule for another colp, my question is did the iud cause the hpv??? and am i at higher risck to have cervical cancer since my mom had it????
|