Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Abnormal heartbeat when lying down

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Hi there. I'm a 26-year old female, 5'5 in height, 140 pounds in weight with no history of prior heart conditions. For the last 5 days, I started noticing that when I am lying down and calm, I can feel my heart beat every now and then (but consistent until I get up). I have a stethoscope, so I listened to my heart and I can hear it go "lub dub dub dub" or something similar to that nature when I can "feel" this beat in my chest. The abnormal beat, when it happens, occurs fairly quickly and much more faster than my regular heart beats. It also happens every 4-5 beats. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm planning on going to the doctor if it continues but I just wanted to see if I could find some possibilities on what might be the problem. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 19th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
An irregular heart beat can appear in person with normal, healthy heart or it could indicate some medical problem like changes in heart muscle, heart valve defects, coronary artery disease, thyroid gland disorders, high blood pressure, pneumonia.
It is very possible that what you have experienced are ectopic heart beats or extra heartbeats.
They are very common and can be experienced as a missed beat or a thump from your heart, most noticeable when you're resting.
Ectopic beats aren't dangerous and won't damage your heart.

The true diagnosis can be give only after certain tests and interpretation from your cardiologist.

Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?