Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Abnormal blood work

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
Rolling Eyes Hi, I am a 22yr. old female that has been seeing a nuerologist for some leg pain and migraines. I had an MRI done about 8 months ago and it came back showing a white matter of non specifics. I still kept having the problems and my doctor sent me back for another one which, came back showing nothing this time and some blood work. The blood work however, showed quite a few things and the nurse just gave me a copy and the doctor will not discuss the results with me until my next appointment which isn't unitl July 30th and I am going crazy wondering what all of this means!!!!! My AST was low at 13, my ASL was low at 29, my oamolality calculated was low at 279, my RBC was low at 4.06, my hematocrit was low at 35.9, neutrophil was high at 63.3, my lymphocyte was low at 27.4, and it also says this for one test...Methodology: DNA analysis of the factor II gene was performedby PCR amplification followed by restriction analysis. The diagnostic sensitivity was >99% for both. Embarassed
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
OK, First of all, all lab work has a low and high. But, it also has a low normal and a high normal. What that means is you can go either way and still be within normal range of thier sliding scale. By no means does that mean anything is wrong. Your levels could be a bit low or high but, still be within those normal range limits. In that case your doctor would not flag it. He would indeed wait for your next appointment to go over them with you. If something was flaged or alarming, I am sure he would have called you in.
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Well, on the paper though all the ones that I am saying are abnormal are under a category that says flag reference as well as abnormal.
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You have to look to the left of the out of range ones and find the labs reference levels. Those are the levels you have to go by. Without having it on the lab paper it is hard for me to read it. What basically I am saying is that you can't be severe out of range or you would have been notified before your next appointment.

Say your CBC was 10,000 and thier low starts at 10,500 and highs out at 25,000, that would mean you are low but, not that low to cause alarm.
|

replied May 24th, 2008
OK, thanks for your help!
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Experienced User
If I were you, I would go to another doctor and take your blood level readings. Yes, everything will probably check out okay, but for your peace of mind, waiting until July 30th is crazy. I have never had a doctor not discuss my blood levels to me. In the last year, I have had 3 different doctors call me, or their nurse, and discuss the findings low/high. If it were serious, I am sure they would have asked me to come in and talk to me about it face to face. But, to just say that they will not discuss it until July 30th is very, very unprofessional! My advice is to find a new doctor! I have never heard of a doctor making a patient wait for 2 months to discuss blood work, even if it is PERFECT!
|

replied May 26th, 2008
Yeah, I think I am going to call my PCP tommorow and tell him about it and bring him the results and see what he can tell me. I would have to agree about the whole insane thing. I am not used to having to wait like that because, with my PCP he does the same you were talking about where either he will call or the nurse. Just by doing some research on the computer I have discovered what two of the things mean and one is anemia and the other is overhydration and I think that those are two things that I should probably be treated for?!?!?!?
|

replied May 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
luvumason wrote:
Yeah, I think I am going to call my PCP tommorow and tell him about it and bring him the results and see what he can tell me. I would have to agree about the whole insane thing. I am not used to having to wait like that because, with my PCP he does the same you were talking about where either he will call or the nurse. Just by doing some research on the computer I have discovered what two of the things mean and one is anemia and the other is overhydration and I think that those are two things that I should probably be treated for?!?!?!?

Absolutly.........Will give you some iron pills not a shot because iron is obsorbed slowly and depending on your dehydration and how severe he thinks it is, (electrolytes) you can either get them through IV or orally.

Good Luck
|

replied May 26th, 2008
Experienced User
Yes, I would! If it is someting serious, you need immediate help, if not, you need peace of mind. That is ridiculous, it is your LIFE we are talking about. I guarantee you if that doctor had blood levels done, he would want to know before two months. If he is too busy to talk to you, he should have his nurse call you, or not be taking new patients, or get an additional doctor in his practice.
|

replied May 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
eeyore46 wrote:
Yes, I would! If it is someting serious, you need immediate help, if not, you need peace of mind. That is ridiculous, it is your LIFE we are talking about. I guarantee you if that doctor had blood levels done, he would want to know before two months. If he is too busy to talk to you, he should have his nurse call you, or not be taking new patients, or get an additional doctor in his practice.

You are abosoluty right. But, in all due respect, I also have to take the side of the office staff, as I was part of a team for 5 years. Unfortunatly, we can not call every patient that had an out of range flaged lab level. If it is serious enough, yes. But, buy rule of thumb, we are not allowed to give out any serious lab results over the phone. Just suppose it were you and we had to give you bad news of a life threatening lab result or likes of it. We do not want to jeperdize the health and welfare of the patient on the other end of that phone line. Would be good to have the doc tell the patient and that is why we have the patient come right in. Now, in this case, if you would have been called right in........then you need to start to be conserned.
Bottom line.......we have to take the time to deal with the patients that really have something wrong. Not that you are not important.........just an office has got to make priorities.
|

replied May 27th, 2008
O.K., thank you both. I spoke to the nurse today at my pcp and she seems to think they should have at least briefly discussed any results with me. They told me I can come in this afternoon and they will go over them with me.
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
luvumason wrote:
O.K., thank you both. I spoke to the nurse today at my pcp and she seems to think they should have at least briefly discussed any results with me. They told me I can come in this afternoon and they will go over them with me.

Awesome! Now, taking the side of the patient. No better way to make an unhappy patient then make them wait for results. Those must be the longest days of my life. Just want you to know that I am also on the other side of this fense now. And there have been many times I have lost it with the staff over the phone. When it comes down to us in the picture, it is an altogether different story. Wink
Let us know how you make out. I will be waiting.

Carrie
|

replied May 28th, 2008
He said that everything was just a little out of wack but, he thought that my weight might be a factor. Before I had my two year old I was an average sized person. I weighed 130lbs. Now I weight 181 and he is very concerned so, he told me that I need to go on a diet and join an exercise program.
|

replied May 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Now at least you can calm down a bit. Knowing that it is not life threatening or other. Since I now have been forced into taking the patients point of view, I have also change my tone. It's just a fact of life that what we don't know will hurt us. I was alway priveed to my test results and read them myself. Sure do miss that Wink
|

replied August 10th, 2008
blood
my blood work came backas a high alp what is this ? alos I have a low hdl what is this? Thank You for being here. mcf at sister_5live.com
|