Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Abdominal vibrations (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I am a healthy 56 yr. old male and in the last 4-6 months have started experiencing a vibration sensation in the lower left area of abdomen/pelvic region. It is not painful at all but I keep reaching to answer my cell phone thinking it is vibrating. What the heck is this?

Thanks Doc,
ALLEN ROWE
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper flux
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Check the "Phantom Vibration Syndrome" in cell users.
|

replied March 19th, 2009
Colon Vibrations
I do not carry my cell phone on me, so I know this is not what is causing this. I have recently been having what can only be described as vibrations in my colon as my bowels move. I have IBS, but have never had this symptom before. It is rather bizarre feeling, and is so strong that I feel as though I should be able to feel it externally even though I cannot. It is not gas, but I can now tell when I will have to go to the bathroom several minutes before I get the urge due to the vibrations. I cannot find any info on this. Anyone????
|
Users who thank MimGregg for this post: LadyB007 

replied April 9th, 2009
Vibration in pelvic region
ccan you tell me what this might be
|

replied May 10th, 2009
vibration in pelvic region
Two years ago I had a small vibration in my lower right pelvic region. Was very minor, just kind of weird and I ignored it. I happened to go in for a colonoscopy because I'm in my 50's and it was just time to do that... thank god, too. Right about where that vibration was they took out a large, precancerous polyp and I haven't felt any vibration since. Well, in that area. Now it's back on the lower left side and scaring me a lot.. it's more noticeable and pretty much constant. I'm lucky my doctor isn't ignoring my concerns (if he were, I'd switch to one who wouldn't). He suggested an ultrasound of the ovaries first, and if nothing there then another colonoscopy. Not sure any of this relates to anyone else's situation, but you might not want to ignore that vibration...
|
Users who thank justtryingtohelp for this post: kmccullers 

replied October 11th, 2009
What could be causing intermitten vibrations of the abdominals?
Thanks for the heads up. I've been experiencing vibrations on my lower right abdominal. I'm not yet 50 but will have it checked out anyway.
|

replied May 6th, 2010
Experiencing lower abdominal vibration, what causes this?
|

replied May 6th, 2010
Experiencing lower abdominal vibration, what causes this?
|

replied September 10th, 2010
Vibration in lower abdomen
I been experiencing vibration (like a cell phone) in my lower abdomen area. It goes on and off every few minutes. Can someone tell me what it is?
Thanks RGG
|

replied October 10th, 2010
What you are experiencing has no official name as a symptom because it's presently unknown to medical science. Unfortunately, most doctors are not trained as scientists looking to discover new stuff, so it's not likely to get ever documented officially.

One explanation for how symptom might occur requires a little understanding of intestinal motility. The circular muscle of the intestine is divided up into segments about an inch long. To propel digestible material (digesta) forward (and backward), one of these segments contracts and the next over relaxes. However, if the next one over were to remain contracted or at least partially contracted, the digesta may be forced through a very narrow lumen, creating an effect similar to spraying of an aerosol. If the force is intense enough, the spray can be felt. Vibrations are probably detected by Pacinian corpuscles, which are located in the connective tissues of the abdomen (mesentery). If the vibrations are intense enough, they can be felt by a hand placed on the abdomen.
|
Users who thank flux for this post: aggandfrustration  aggandfrustration 

replied October 12th, 2010
When I wake up in the mornings, my intestines feel like they are vibrating. This is very uncomfortable for me.
I also get severe pain under my right ribs after eating. If I lie down it seems to get worse, and after that it throws me into a severe panic attack.
Little did I know the HEART is connected to the stomach nerves. I have been to the ER and called the Ambulance numerous times with Panic attacks. It feels like something is in my stomach pecking and fluttering, and it is super uncomfortable. I was diagnosed with Acid reflux and IBS. I now eat lots of Yogurt and watch what I do eat, yet I still get flare-ups, which causes my whole abdominal area feels HOT...
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Hi I have ibs and diary makes this worse also fatty foods. U should try some aromatherapy 10 mls carrier oil ie olive oil 5 drops black pepper 5 drops lavender works best for me. Rub up from the right hand side across the top to the left, down the left side and along thee bottom to the original start point, this helps move any blockages through x
|

replied October 12th, 2010
I'm not sure I follow. The heart is not connected in any way to the stomach or its nerves.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Experienced User
cause: parasitic infection; do a total internal cleanse
|

replied December 10th, 2010
Strange vibration in lower abdomen
I also have this in the lower left abdomen, it started yesterday and also thought that it was my phone in my handbag vibrating, but it wasn't. I can't feel the vibration through the skin if I touch the area and it doesn't seem to follow a pattern. No problems with constipation or any other symptons. what could it be?
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Abdominal vibrations
Is anyone taking Miraflax for constipation? Any cancer survivors taking Tamoxifen. Any arthritis patients taking Mobic? I am trying to narrow this down to something I'm taking. I too have had these cell phone like vibrations in my lower abdomen. I get these about once and hour and they last for about 30 seconds. No pain or discomfort. Been having them for about three months. Have also eaten lots of sushi and been in the gulf region for the last three months. Looking for similarities.
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
I have felt the same vibrating sensations for a couple of months. I do take Mobic but only had my first sushi within the past 2 weeks. I'll check into side effects of the Mobic.
|

replied May 17th, 2012
I'm a 22 yr old male. Same problem. I've eaten some sushi and rare meat in the last couple weeks. Two days ago I started a diet and workout routine recently. I've been eating fruits, veggies, lean meat, and protein supplements , and I've been lifting weights. (no pure abdominal stuff yet, though.)
Also started chewing nicorette gum. I was constipated yesterday, but I'm good today.
|

replied August 8th, 2011
I am feeling the same kind of vibrations since several years now. I am a man, aged 53. No doctor could find out what it is despite numerous examinations. After time it also turned to be more painful, and awakes me during the nights. And also now I have more and more gas.
|

replied September 24th, 2011
I'm a female and only 39 and been having the vibrations on my right lower side for a while and when I tell someone family friends they think I'm crazy! No problems going to bathroom and I'm on only BP medication so hmmmm what the heck is it???
|

replied January 15th, 2012
Re: Abdominal vibrations
ARowe09 wrote:
I am a healthy 56 yr. old male and in the last 4-6 months have started experiencing a vibration sensation in the lower left area of abdomen/pelvic region. It is not painful at all but I keep reaching to answer my cell phone thinking it is vibrating. What the heck is this?

Thanks Doc,
ALLEN ROWE

So where is the possible answer????
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
This has been going on off and on for a couple years now and I just thought it was a nervous intestine. I just put a stethoscope on the area and could hear nothing. Very strange. Im having a colonoscopy next month so Im going to mention it to my doctor and see what he say or find and let every one know. Im a 58 year old healthy male.
|

replied February 1st, 2012
Vibration in lower abdomen
I've noticed the exact same thing. The vibrations started for the first time four days ago. At first, I thought it was related to a hip replacement that I had four years ago since there was metal a few inches away. The feeling is exactly like a cell phone vibrating - only the sensation is much less than a cell phone. For me, the vibration is originating about an inch to the right of my penis. and maybe an inch deep. These vibrations last about one second in duration and restart anywhere from five seconds to a minute later. Sometimes there is a break of hours. If I press my hand firmly agaisnt the spot - they stop. But will restart several minutes later. There is no pain associated with this feeling. I am in my sixties and do not have any bladder issues.

Any suggestions?
|
Quick Reply