Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Abdominal Spasm, Nausea

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Background:
Anxiety (somewhat managed)
Depression (managed)

Issue: Abdominal spasm, nausea

Lifestyle: Don't smoke/drink or do illegal drugs.

Family history:
Diabetes (I think my grandparents on both sides).
My mom is diabetic.
She also had 6 bleeding ulcers.
Dad had pancreas problems...he had to have surgery for it . I think it was due to drinking though.

History:
Since I was a little kid (I'm in my 20s now) I have had a nervous stomach. When I was little I would get nausea/vomiting when I got distressed. This distress was do to a close family member dying. When I was little, the vomiting was too hard to control and I would have to go to the ER. I think most of the time in the ER they just recognized it as a "flu bug".

Throughout my life, I have had nausea/vomiting and diarrhea episodes. For example, if I was required to do something anxiety provoking like giving a speech then I would get nausea/vomiting or diarrhea.

When I was in my early 20's I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy (about 6 years ago). The GI said that I had inflammation of the esophagus. He gave me AciPhex and it seemed to turn off the "acid pouring on my stomach" feeling. Unfortunately, my insurance stopped paying for the medicine. They would pay for Protonex but it never seemed as effective.

Urine/Stool
Urine doesn't look abnormal. It doesn't burn to pee.
Stool - I have always had a hard time wiping. My poop seems to be sticky and I practically have to use a whole roll of toilet to do the job. My family eats the same type of diet I do. They don't seem to have any issues with the "endless wipe".

Fast forward to last week:
I had diarrhea and vomiting. The attack was pretty sudden. I had a low grade fever (I thought it was just the flu or something). I got dehydrated. The hardest part about vomiting is once I start vomiting I can't stop and I have to go to the ER to take an IV. Anyways, I was in the ER and they just said I had the flu and sent me home. The next day I had another attack. There is usually a lot of abdominal pain/spasms and nausea. When I double over it helps the pain a little. It makes it worse if I try to lay down. Anyways, I went in the ER and ran some more tests and came up with pneumonia. It must have been in the very beginning stages because I didn't have a chronic cough. I was scared to go home so they admitted me for "pain management". When I was admitted they didn't allow me to talk to a GI or anything. They just wanted to give me pain pills and get me out the door. So I was eventually released and I had another attack and went back the following day. This time they gave me something for pain, nausea and abdominal spasms. They did find 3 gallstones but they didn't seem to obstruct anything (I don't know about gallstones...for example, can they get stuck and unstuck in the duct). When they ask me where my pain is they seem to suggest that the gallbladder is higher than where I get my pain. I never get attacks after eating fatty foods. I also don't get pain in the middle of my back in between the shoulder blades.

Does anyone know what's happening? I got in with a GI doctor but have to wait awhile to do an endoscopy.

The ER did several images. They put "fatty liver"....My cholestrol always comes out OK when I get blood work.

I am taking an abdominal spasm and anti-nausea until I get in the doctor.

Ulcers?
Gallbladder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|