Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Abdominal pain with hep c, will it progress?

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
Hello, I am a 36 year old male and have had hep c for about five years. For the past 9 months or so I have had alot of pain in my abdominal upper right side. I have had a series of x-rays, ultra sound, CT scans, and blood work to have my enzymes checked and everything returned normal. My question is what is the answer for this pain and does this mean it will continue to progress? The pain seems to be very sharp just below my rip cage but radiates into my stomach and all the way back to my hip. I also have noticed to have more than usual gas sounds coming from my stomach. Please if anyone has any thoughts to let me know. Thank You.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shar57
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

In case all your liver function tests and investigations have been normal, then the cause of your abdominal pain has nothing to do with hepatitis C.

Presence of abdominal pain, excessive gas, and discomfort can be due to indigestion, acute gastroesophageal reflux disorder, irritable bowel syndrome and other functional disorders.

You can try to seek relief with Over the counter medications like
1. Antacids - Mylanta, Tums, Gelusil, etc which will neutralize excess acid in the stomach
2. Acid reducers - like Prevacid (omeprazole) can decrease the production of stomach acid
3. Anti spasmodic medications (Bismuth tablets) or Dicyclomine - might help to relieve your abdominal cramps
4. Activated charcoal tablets (Charcoal, Charcocaps) - would absorb the excess gas produced and relieve the bloating and belching.

In case, your symptoms are not improved by the above measures, consulting your doctor or a gastroenterologist for barium swallow or a upper GI endoscopy might be essential to diagnose conditions like GERD, Hiatal hernia, peptic ulcers, etc.

Treatment of the underlying cause should provide relief.

|

replied August 17th, 2013
hepc and side and back pain
deepak has NO idea what he is talking about, lower abdominal pain and pain on the right side is very common with thep c. you rliver sits more to the right. often your spleen may be enlarged also due to the hep c, that is what is casuing the pain that goes all the way around to your right hip.
it may get worse,it may jst come and go.
gas is also very common.
becaseu of the hep, your gut may have trouble making the enzymes that it used to to ehlp you digest certain foods.
all dairy foods is one of them, and foods that are high in protien.
you want o eat a lowish protien diet with hep and of course low fat.
cut out the dairy, your gas will get better, that mean heese sourcream, pizza witht cheese, order it without the cheese, its still very very yummy.
i asuming you dont drink, right? even a few beers or galsses of wine are so hard on your liver.
please, if youve not quit drinking yet, do it now.
take care.
|

replied August 25th, 2013
I am a 55 yr old female,hep c 28 yrs or so.I also suffer with upper r abdomen pain,pain in r lower side(kidney area)lately getting worse.I also was told pain not connected with hep c until end stages I disagree.I have had biopsy 3 yrs ago did show fibrosis ,sono's blood work and until recently my viral load has gone crazy high.I have not had good Dr.'s per my ins medicaide(Fedelis).I am seeing new Dr. sept 29 he will do sono.The pain is getting worse everyday and need a list of test I can have him do that will accurately diagnose my status.In the past I have not been informed or followed well I was told in past blood work was not 2 serious.I suffer very bad from brain fog so it is hard for me to fend 4 myself as far as questions and retaining the info given.This is why I need 2 bring a list with me..Thanks all
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.