Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Abdominal Pain in Upper Left Quadrant

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have had a dull pain in the upper left quadrant of my adbnominal area, which turns into a sharp pain when I breath in, especially deep breaths. Started Friday afternoon with a series of vommitting. The pain continued through the night but wasn't as bad the next day. Saturday evening, the pain returned and was worst.

I have gone to urgent care. The doctor prescribed Zantac, which has not helped with the pain. He also prescribed codine.

The initial blood work for an ulcer came back standard, but with a WBC level of 11.5. The urine test also came back with no sign of a urinary tract infection.

Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Pain felt at the upper left abdomen can be due to pancreatitis, an inflammation of pancreas.
This pain can be felt in the center of the abdomen, or can even radiate through to the back.
Sitting up and leaning forward may reduce pain, but coughing, vigorous movement, and deep breathing may accentuate it.
Usually persists for several days and is accompanied with nausea and vomiting.
The WBC count usually increases to 12,000 to 20,000/μL.

Ask for serum amylase and lipase tests and imaging techniques!
Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?