Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

abdominal paid radiating around to my back, severe nausea

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I have had upper right abdominal paid radiating around to my back with severe nausea. I have had a normal ultrasound (no stones), a normal CT scan, a normal upper endoscopy (no ulcers) and just had a Hida scan done today withe the first phase showing the gall bladder is functioning. I will have official results Thurs but am at my wit's end. I have lost about 10 lbs due to nausea/no appetite. Nexium has not helped either. Pain meds barely help at times. I dont have an appendix anylonger. Any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2012
Gallbladder Disease Answer A34767
Welcome to e health forum.

All your symptoms are most probably due gastric reflux disorder.

Since the ultrasound, CT and upper GI endoscopy have been normal so far, it is likely that most conditions like stomach ulcers, gall stones and pancreatitis as well as renal stones have been effectively ruled out.

Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. The pain seems to travel from the belly to the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly.

First and foremost, you need to avoid foods, smoking and stuff that worsen your symptoms. Foods that need to be avoided include -

1. Alcoholic beverages, caffeinated drinks, carbonated water, and deserts high in sugar and white flour
2. Foods prepared from white flour, like puddings, breads, bagels and pretzels also should be avoided.
3. Vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, all kinds of beans and legumes, full fat milk, onions and green peas should be avoided.
4. Nonvegetarian foods to be avoided include - cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and cold cuts ;Red meats like beef, lamb, and venison - should be less in your meals
5. Seasonings such as onion, garlic, clove, and cinnamon may irritate your stomach lining and worsen the symptoms due to gastritis

Foods that can help to improve your symptoms include
1. fruits such as pears, oranges, sweet limes, watermelons, cantaloupes etc
2. MILK products like - yoghurt and cottage cheese
3. Non Vegetarian food products - include - lean cuts of meat, white meat from chicken and turkey, and seafoods

Other measures that can help you in addition to the above dietary measures include -
1. Walking or running thirty minutes regularly and achieving significant weight reduction.
2. Stress reduction
3. Learn to relax with breathing exercises like Yoga

In addition, you might consult with your gastroenterologist for proper treatment with acid reducing and prokinetic medications. In addition treatment for H pylori infection of the gastric mucosa can also be initiated after due testing.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.