Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

abdominal hernia, in alot of pain, inoperable!

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
I had a hysterectomy which resulted in a huge inoperable hernia in my lower abdominal area that causes severe pain in my lower back. I take pain meds which I asked to reduce but now I can not stand the pain in my back and I am fearful my doctor will not increase my medicine back to what it was. I use four patches ( ben gay) on my back at atime to relieve the pain, use heat what ever it takes to stop the pain but it isnt helping. what do i do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2012
(online)
Welcome to e health forum.

In case, you have other medical conditions, like diabetes, cardiac dysfunction, kidney diseases, lung diseases etc, your doctors might have considered against surgery, due to your lack of fitness for anesthesia or surgery.

In such a situation, the only option to treat your abdominal hernia, would be with external supports (called abdominal truss). This device is worn around the abdomen and helps to keep to prevent the hernia from protruding. In so doing it reduces the symptoms associated with the hernia.

But in case, you have severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, or other intolerable symptoms you should consult with your doctor at the earliest or visit the ER, so that complications like incarceration, strangulation of the hernia can be diagnosed and treated at the earliest.

I hope this helps.

|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2013
Large surgical un-operable abdominal hernia treatment.
I had my left kidney removed in October of 2008, leaving me with a large surgical hernia, about the size of a cantaloupe. My doctor says it is un-operable and I should learn to live with it, which I have for the past 5 years. I wear an abdominal binder for some support and waist reduction. Is there a better method available ? I read in your article about an "Abdominal Truss, Can you give me more specific information on this and how can I obtain one ?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.