Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Abdominal aorta concern

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am a 24 year old female in good health. I'm 5'1 and weight about 120 pounds, so I am not thin but not overweight. I have a concern about my abdomen. When I am laying down and resting my ENTIRE stomach pulses very prominently to my heart beat. I have read that this can be a sign of an abdominal aortic aneurysm, but that it is very uncommon to have one this young. I've asked a lot of my friends if they have this happen to them, and they said no, so I feel like it can't possibly be normal. However, I have been to a cardiologist who felt my abdomen and said he could not palpate anything abnormal. I have also had a CT scan which did not show any aneurysm. Could it just be normal for my aorta to pulse so hard? Has anyone else experienced this? Please reply if you have any advice, I would like to ease my mind about this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Yes, it is common in some young individuals to feel their cardiac pulsations in the epigastric region or upper abdomen.

Since most of the tests including the CT scan, have shown to be normal, there is absolutely nothing to be worried about.

Some risk factors that can predispose to have aneurysms include - caucacian race, Male sex, age above 60 years, high blood pressure, smoking, and family history. In your case, you do not have any such issues and hence are not at risk of having aneurysms currently.

Relax for the time being and improve your fitness by joining a gym and this will help you control your palpitations. In addition, you may consult your doctor to rule out conditions like hyperthyroidism, hypertension, cardiac rhythm disorders, which may be the cause of your palpitations.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.