Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Abdomen/chest pain, shortness of breath, gallbladder?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hello All,

First of all, thank you in advance for any ideas or thoughts, I rewrote this entire
post to try and shorten it down, but it ended up being longer!.

I'm a male, mid 20's, otherwise fairly healthy. About 6 months ago, within the space of about 20 seconds, I went from being fine to being very ill, I developed severe chills/shivering, dizziness, blood pressure drop, and was so bad I came close to calling ambulance.
I slowly pulled out of this in about 48 hrs.

Ever since then I have had a varying abdomen/chest discomfort, starting
around my central chest with a feeling something was “stuck”, and a mild
pain moving to my lower sternum, and now months later settling around my upper right
abdomen as a more pronounced stabbing pain and discomfort.. I have also had an ongoing
shortness of breath, which vary's day to day. And now jaundice.

I have spoke to a few doctors, at first they generally thought of gerd/acid reflux, (I imagine due to the location of the discomfort/pain being around my stomach at the time). But that did not explain the sudden illness or shortness of breath, I had an ECG and bloods, ECG was fine, bloods were mostly within the normal levels, some results such as white blood cell count being near the top, but not being over the reference level.

I went back to a doctor, having done a lot of researching online for the last 6 months,
with the theory of it being liver/gallbladder, and the sudden illness I had being a sudden bile duct blockage. (nothing else seemed to explain it) I think generally they thought this was unlikely as I would of had more pain,, I had no clear tenderness around my abdomen, lungs sounded clear. However I went for an ultrasound, and the report stated I had a 10mm gallstone, I have no idea how clear the scan was, or if this was a certainty.

Now I can't shake off the feeling something else could be going on, as I have seen different doctors every-time things could have been missed , but I could be wrong. For a start my pain over the last 6 months has been mild, with pain during the initial illness being near non existent, which would be odd for a serious gallstone attack?, the feeling going up to my throat at one point, the shortness of breath, and I also seem to have no ill effects/pain from eating all the wrong foods (Pizza, Ice Cream etc). This all seems unusual for a gallstones?. Stool changes colour from green to dark black, one thing I have noticed recently is regular stool of normal colour, but with hard black/dark brown blobs of stool mixed in, (which appear more mucus/slimy).

I'm going for repeat bloods, but it will be awhile before I get to see a consultant,
so I just really want to make sure there's nothing being missed that may be more urgent, my condition feels like its “developing” and in the last few weeks has localized to my upper right abdomen, and turned into a moderate stabbing pain. I don't want to be waiting for gallbladder surgery for months if it could be something different that needs urgent treatment.

Any thoughts? Does anything above point to something else?. Or is it safe to wait it out for
awhile why I wait for an appointment for a surgical consult I imagine.

Thanks, and sorry this was so long, I really appreciate any input.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hereiam222
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Hello,

I guess nothing special sticks out here and that gallstones make sense?. Thanks
|

replied July 28th, 2012
Experienced User
Jaundice is a clear hint pointing to your liver area, possibly the surrounding ducts, gallbladder, or conceivably pancreas. Other than that, your symptoms don't stand out as being related to the gallbladder.

Having a gallstone isn't really a definitive sign of anything. A significant proportion of people have gallstones and most of them don't have any symptoms at all. Visible gallstones combined with classic gallstone symptoms obviously means something, but you don't have classic gallstone symptoms.
|
Users who thank iann for this post: hereiam222 

replied September 4th, 2012
Your gastrointestinal symptoms and shortness of breath
Hello...I am having nearly the exact same symptoms for a very long time now. Just came across your post. The shortness of breath is relatively new..and most distressing.

Can you tell me if you were able to get a proper diagnosis yet? I hope you are still following this thread and will respond. I also hope you are feeling much better now.
|
Users who thank bufalowgrl for this post: hereiam222 

replied September 16th, 2012
I have been getting the shortness of breath thing for 3 years; plus pain through my sternum to my back like a poker impaling me. Pain goes up left to left shoulder blade. Attacks are worse just before my period. I also can get chest pain and a feeling like something is restricting my swallowing, oh and I often feel sick. I can get very itchy skin, especially at night and heartburn. Acid reflux tests are normal. CT scan shows bile duct widens in one part and then narrows like a blockage further along. Am due to have a laparoscopy, but doctors are already talking about gallstones. Hope this helps.
|
Users who thank allonsy for this post: hereiam222 

replied September 25th, 2012
Hello Allonsy...

Thanks for replying to the thread. I hope hereiam222 will see your post as well.

When is your laparoscopy scheduled? I have the mid-sternum through to back pain as well. Is your pain more of a dull ache and is it fairly constant. My pain has increased over the last three months. The shortness of breath is a relatively new symptom. Have you have any dizziness like the other poster and myself? Have they mentioned having a Hidascan to check gallbladder function to you? I look forward to hearing from you and hope you feel better soon!
|

replied October 18th, 2012
The doctors are very confusing. A new consultant says I need to have an MRI scan to get a clear picture of what is going on. Also I feel he is sceptical about the breathlessness, I think he feels this is more to do with panic attacks, but I assure you.it is definitely a kind of restriction that comes from the upper abdomen especially after I have eaten and also if the food is greasy. It has got to the point where I am living on supplement drinks because I am too scared to eat. The pain itself is also variable and can start as a dull ache becoming really sharp especially on exertion. I do get dizziness now and then. I haven't heard of a Hidascan but I am from England. Hope you are not suffering too much. Will post again.
|

replied September 29th, 2012
Hi hereiam222
Chest pains could be gas pains which are common in gallbladder problems especially after eating, stabbing shoulder pains completely common to gallbladder problems, feeling of food being stuck again symptomatic of gallbladder problems. I had a gallstone 20mm and an inflamed gallbladder. Typical symptoms for me were, pain on the right side going into my shoulder, a very noisy sounding tummy after eating, a feeling of fullnes and a feeling of food being stuck in my throat. The actual attacks were terrible with pains like muscle spasms in my back and shortness of breath. When I first started with issues I would not have thought it would lead to me having a gallstone because none of the pain or tenderness was ever around the area where you gallbladder is. In fact I thought there was something wrong with my lung with the pain being in my back and the shortness of breath and chest pains.
Hopefully this will help you but a lot of your systems are systematic of gallbladder problems which if they have found a gallstone will be why you are having all the problems. I have recently had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago and the constant pain in one point of my back I felt all the time that was like a burning pinching pain as now gone. I am recovering nicely regardless of all the horror stories you read on the web.
I am not a doctor but a lot of your systems sound very similar to the ones I started with which only got worse over time. I was completely relieved when they scanned me a found a gallstone although I was amazed at all the suffering from such a small thing inside you, and I would never have related a lot of the pains i was getting or problems such as chest pains/flutters as anything to do with my gallbladder.
I truly hope this helps in some way as I would imagine some people suffer a lot of the same symptoms and some a few, like any illness people sufffer in different ways with certain elements being common.

Kaz
|

replied July 24th, 2013
hi lax would you mind describing the chest pains and the fluttering you mentioned so have hall assumes but am worried I have somethingelse going on as I have chest pains in underr my left breast and often get odd fleets and pains as well Ximenesometimes going onto my arm pit area and the back of the shoulders as well.I also have many other gastro symptoms and calcification of my gall stones
|

replied July 24th, 2013
sorry kaz not lax
|

replied July 24th, 2013
hi lax would you mind describing the chest pains and the fluttering you mentioned so have hall assumes but am worried I have somethingelse going on as I have chest pains in underr my left breast and often get odd fleets and pains as well Ximenesometimes going onto my arm pit area and the back of the shoulders as well.I also have many other gastro symptoms and calcification of my gall stones
|

replied October 20th, 2012
Hello All,

Thanks for the replies, A lot of the problems sound similar and I hope we can all get to the bottom of what is wrong with us.

I'm kind of stuck in no mans land with this, the problem seems to change over time, my bilirubin level was up in the blood-tests, but I'm not clear if I had jaundice or if it was my skin tone. Every doctor so far seems to not have any idea what's wrong. They seem to ignore certain symptoms and try and fit the rest into a box. but my problems are connected, I just don't know how. I do not have any other symptoms of acid reflux, tablets for it did not seem to help, surgeon seemed skeptical it was the gallstone causing the problems (but he says it is possible).

Back of my throat does look inflamed to some extent, next step is a pill-cam or endoscopy (trying to get pill-cam instead). I keep thinking these symptoms must point to something, but right now blood tests not giving any clues enough to point to liver etc, no other signs of acid reflux, and gallstone causing the problem is possible but does not seem to match with shortness of breath, the sudden illness, etc. I thought the sudden illness might of been a sudden bile duct blockage, I really am lost now as to what's wrong. Just in-case anyone has anymore ideas, symptoms

1.Sudden onset illness, chills,
2.Following this pains in chest, varying places
3.strange feeling up to back of throat.
4.shortness of breath
5.I now hiccup whenever I cough

Thanks for the replies, I hope you all find out what the cause is.
|

replied February 2nd, 2013
Hello, I'm a relatively healthy 30 yr old male. I've experienced most of these symptoms, plus a very agitated stomach and bowels. The tightness in my chest and shortness of breath is a new thing. I'm in the medical field and do sleep studies, so I see a ton of different problems and diseases, and I'm almost positive mine is my gall bladder. Another symptom is bowel movements, very smelly, burning, greasy, or floating, is also a sign of a malfunctioning or inflamed gall bladder. I've too had the very dull but annoying pain under my right shoulder blade for quite some time. I've tried to deal with it but its really interfering with my daily life now so, off with the gallbladder lol. I have an endoscopy and a gallbladder function test next week to get things moving. Hope this info helps sum1.
|

replied May 17th, 2013
guys i have the same thing. help
|

replied May 20th, 2013
I went through exactly the same gallbladder issues and it was also a parasitic infection: the shortness of breath and itching. I cured my gallbladder with a gallbladder herbal supplement by oriental botanics. Also look up eft tapping and focus on tapping massaging the gallbladder point which is next to the eyes and a bit further up. I cured my parasitic infection with food grade diatamaceous earth.
|

replied May 23rd, 2013
Gallbladder inflamation and acid reflux?
Hi everyone. About 6 weeks ago I had my IUD removed and had a lot of symptoms start to affect me. Just the hormones changing I guess. Well my stomach kept hurting and feeling wicked bloated and I got this weird feeling on my right side that something was like almost folding on itself so I went to the doctor to have it checked, They told me my symptoms couldn't be IUD related and thought something might be bothering my stomach so they put me on Zantac. Everything was ok for a few days and then it started again, but this time with extreme burning and pain in my chest. I went and bought some tums and those helped a little but did not take the pain away. The next day it was so bad again I went to the hospital and they told me I have Acid Reflux. They put me on Prilosec and said to take that instead of the Zantac. Well needless to say it's still not working. I am taking one pill in the am, one at night and then tums throughout the whole day and my chest, throat, and ride side are still burning and in pain. Everytime I eat anything I get the hiccups and I always feel bloated. I also get a rapid heart rate and shortness of breath frequently and I get hot and cold flashes sometimes. I feel like there is something stuck in my throat and I try to swallow it but nothing helps. I was just wondering if I really do only have acid reflux or if having an inflammed gallbladder can cause all these symptoms? I have no insurance so a surgery would be extremely expensive so I am just trying to find out as much as I can before I go to the doctor to see what they have to say about it. And as I said before, I was fine pain wise until a week ago. It was just the bloating for almost a month then just BAM. Also I am very itchy ALL the time and I feel like I am getting minor hives, but IDK from what because I have never had any allergies. Any and all advice is welcome!
|

replied February 16th, 2014
Gallbladder and Shortness 9of Breath
Hi all, Just read all of your posts. I have most of the symptoms you describe. Shortness of breath could be caused when the gallbladder swells and reacts, causing a gallbladder attack. I do get mild chest pains (just recently) and palpitations at times. Have had plenty of medical tests over 3 1/2 years now and all clear. No gallstones but my gallbladder was only functioning around 25% when I had a HIDA (to test the function of the gallbladder) a couple of years back. May be it is functioning less now. Surgeon doesn't want to remove my gallbladder as I have no gallstones. I was a perfectly fit and healthy woman 3 1/2 years ago. I am trying hard to live with all of this. Unfortunately if these symptoms don't fit into the medical criteria for gallbladder problems, the doctors tend to dismiss them. Hope you are all feeling better and you find some help from my story too. Oden17/2/2014.
|