Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

a yellowish pus leak from my belly button area?

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
I recently had an emergency laparoscopic appendectomy on 01/15/2011. The surgeon stated my appendix and surrounding areas were very inflamed, but overall, surgery went well. One week later on 1/20/2011 I had to go back to the ER because I was having severe pain on my right side. I was also having an allergic reaction to the pain killer I was prescribed and no bowel movement. Another CT scan was done to verify that there was no abscess. I was feeling a little better after my 2nd hospital visit, but this past Sunday two of the three Steri-Strips came off from my incisions and they seem to be healing fine, however, I am now having a yellowish pus leak coming from my actual belly button area. I am also having a lot of pain in and around my belly button area, especially pain on the right side. Its a very sharp and stabbing pain. There is also redness and itchiness in the area. I am very worried that I may have an abscess after all. Is this common? should i go to ER or call the DR's office?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2011
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A19570
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

It seems that you might have developed a periumbilical fistula or a abscess, which could be a complication developing as a result of the appendectomy. Such complications are common in a complicated appendicitis (As in your case).

You might need to get a ultrasound or a CT scan to know the exact nature. The findings will help decide the future course of action which may be either a CT guided aspiration of the abscess or a open surgery.

You might consider consulting with the operating surgeon for proper evaluation and treatment at the earliest.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.