Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

a thick diseased gallbladder?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
Hi
I have had stomach issues for as long as I can remember, I have been diagnosed with GERD, IBS, ect... I still constantly have problems especially with digestion. My stomach is always hurting, I am constantly bloated and uncomfortable. I went in this morning for a Stomach ultrasound and she said that I have a thick gallbladder. She said that shows a diseased gallbladder.
I fasted for about 10 hours, but had a small ice coffee with cream and sugar, not thinking that could affect the test results.
She kept asking me if I was sure I did not eat anything because from what she was seeing with the thickening, I guess she wanted to make sure. So she said the doctor has to look at it and let me know for sure.
But she said she thinks that the cream in the coffee can make it look thick too. Which is my question, could a small ice coffee really throw off the results that much? And also if I had a diseased gallbladder wouldn't that show in bloodwork results too? Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2012
Gallbladder Disease Answer A35587
Welcome to e health forum.

The presence of thickening of the gall bladder, does not happen overnight. It actually takes a few months to a year for it to develop.

The common presentation due to gall bladder dysfunction include - Pain or tenderness under the rib cage on the right side , Pain between shoulder blades, Stools light or chalky colored, Indigestion after eating, especially fatty or greasy foods, Nausea, Dizziness, Bloating, Gas, Burping or belching, Feeling of fullness or food not digesting, Diarrhea (or alternating from soft to watery) and or Constipation.

Diagnosis of the cause would require imaging studies like a ultrasound and blood tests (liver functions). In case, you have not done, a HIDA scan with CCK injection will help to know the exact functioning status of your gall bladder. In case the HIDA scan, done shows the Gall bladder function to be less than 35%, then it will be conclusive about your symptoms being due to Gall bladder dysfunction.

The definitive treatment of such conditions is cholecystectomy for patients who are able to tolerate surgery.

In many patients, coexistent GERD is also a contributing factor for the symptoms. Hence in many individuals who undergo Gall bladder removal, the symptoms due to GERD will cause persistent symptoms. Hence it is important to work with a gastroenterologist and rule out Gastric Reflux disorder, and treat it properly. Effective treatment of such conditions may negate the need for a gall bladder surgery.

But in case, the symptoms are predominantly due to gall bladder, then treatment of both GERD and gallbladder removal may be needed.

You might consider to consult your health care provider for additional information and seek proper advice.

Here are some tips to prevent having gall bladder issues or reduce the severity of symptoms due to GB disease.

The diet should include: Lean meat, skinned fish and chicken ; Eggs ; Skimmed milk ; Low fat cheese, yogurts and spreads ; Soups ; Salads ; Grilled fish and chicken; Legumes

A high fibre diet is also recommended. Include at least 3-4 servings of vegetables a day and 2-4 servings of fruit each day. Fruits like - Dried fruits (dates, apricots, prunes, raisins); raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and oranges can help reduce the symptoms.

Foods that need to be avoided: include Fried foods ; Spicy food ; Whole grain breads ; Cereals, seeds and nuts ; Baked beans ; Broccoli ; Cabbage ; Brussel sprouts; Cauliflower ; Peanuts ; and Pastries

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.