Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

a swelling in my right side of my mouth Is it Oral Cancer?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Dear Doctor,

For the past 7 days, i feel that there is a swelling in my right side of my mouth under the teeth and there is also pain in my right ear.

I was reading about the oral cancer on the website and found that these are symptoms of it.

Please tell me something about it.

can it be an oral cancer or not?

Kindly help

please
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The lump described by you is most probably a enlarged lymph node. The presence of ear ache indicates either a ear infection or pain referred as a result of oral or throat infections irritating the lingual nerve in the jaw bone.

Since you have not provided your age and also the complete history, it is not possible to comment about possibility of oral cancer.

Some important features of oral cancer include -
1. Presence of a white patch (leukoplakia) or a red patch (erythroplakia) on the soft tissues of the mouth.
2. Lump or ulcer on the tongue, lip or in the mouth.
3. Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
4. Unexplained numbness, loss of feeling, or pain/tenderness in any area of the face, mouth, or neck
5. Dramatic weight loss
6. Difficulty chewing or swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue.

Risk factors for the development of oral cancer include:

1. long history of Cigarette, cigar, or pipe smoking.
2. Use of smokeless tobacco products (for example, dip, snuff, or chewing tobacco)
3. Excessive consumption of alcohol
4. Family history of cancer

In case you have the above mentioned issues and risk factors, your chances of having oral cancer might be high. Lack of such issues would mean, low probability of oral cancer.

You should consult with your doctor for a examination and this will help to make a proper diagnosis and guide further treatment.

|

replied April 18th, 2013
jaw swelling
hey...my mother is a gynaecologist aged 50....about 7-8 years ago,her incisors and some other teeth loosened up
may be because of very poor dental hygeine and her habbit of eating solid ice which caused her gums to shrink....
now so many years passed but she didnt took dental care....about 1.5 years ago,she noticed an enlarged painless
lymph node(easily mobile) on left side of face along the outer border of lower jaw,which came to notice as could be easily seen
as a swelling on face over mandible....again left uncared but node did not increase in size....now 4 months ago,
my mother attended to dental need and got extracted 2 lower molars on the same left side where the enlarged node was
had the upper moving incisors fixed.....everything was normal....the node remained same size and location......
suddenly there was an enormous swelling around the node through the night which bulged out of the face at the
left side but it was PAINLESS,when took infrared,it even increased in size.....she took oral antibiotics but no effect.
ultrasound done,found necrotic material in node but node same size 1.2*0.8cm and also there was NO BONE INVOLVEMENT
other nodes of the body were not enlarged.....doctors told may be infective because there was a molar root left as
found in OPG,.....but there was no pain....OPG report normal,no scar was found in mouth..doctor tried to drain it but
there was NO PUS in the swollen area,only accumulated blood came out in the syringe when the swollen region along with
enlarged node was aspirated.....and FNSC report said chronic inflammatioN......then a dentist told to take
DEXONA,ZENTAMYCIN and TAXIM i.v for 3 days
and the swelling responded well and almost disappeared except the enlarged node......after 2 more days of stopping
of the antibiotics,the swelling again started to appear....when went to the dentist,he removed the molar root left
which he suspected to be a source of infection and said that there was a little pus found in its root but removal
of it enhanced the jaw swelling.....again he advised 5 days of DEXONA,TAXIM and zentamycin....and again in 2 days the
swelling disappeared but the enlarged node persists and she feels very mild pain only on opening of mouth and lower end of
node seems fixed to jaw bone.......
now WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSE of the swelling and whats the guarantee that it does not reappear once medicine is stopped,please help.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.