Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

a small pea size lump on my head, just behind my ear.

User Profile
When running my fingers through my hair today I noticed a small pea size lump on the right hand side of my head, just behind my ear. It feels as though it is part of my skull as it is boney to touch and you can't move it around. It is slightly painful when pressure is put on it. I recently got three new piercings on my ear at this side which I think may be infected. Could the two be related even although the lump isn't on my actual ear? I'm having the obvious worries that it might be cancer related, is this a possibility?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2011
Bone Cancer Answer A27798
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

The possible causes of a lump on the head can be:
1)Folliculitis which is an infected hair follicle.
2)Boil or abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard.For such a bump, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean with topical antiseptics.You can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting your doctor. You can also take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.
Do not worry it does not seem to be cancer.It might be possible that it is due to infectious cause.
Since a physical examination would help in giving a better picture consider visiting a Physician for evaluation if it increases in size and shape.
Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.