Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

A small movable lump on the breast

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
Hi, I have a small moveable lump on the side of my breast, i can push it about and only feel it when i hold my arm up above my head. It does hurt when i press it and prod it. What could it be? My husband says it's probably a gland. I've had it for a few months and was just wondering if this is normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2010
Breasts Answer A9543
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. As described by you, there’s a possibility of it being a lymph node (gland) of the axilla (armpit). It can frequently get enlarged due to any infection of the upper limb (hand, arm or forearm).

These glands usually melt away after some time. Hence, what’s concerning me is its presence for the past few months which is not a good sign.

For further analysis of the same, I would suggest an FNAC (fine needle aspiration and cytology) of the gland and a mammogram to rule out a growth of the breast. Please do consult a surgeon for the same as it’s not possible to make a diagnosis online without a physical examination. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.