Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

a sharp-shooting pain in the mid to lower right side

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
For about 2 days I have had a sharp-shooting pain in the mid to lower right side of my stomach...about 3-4 inches below the bottom of my rib cage. It didn't start in the middle of my belly. It hits me about every one to two hours, sometimes more; it lasts for several seconds. It comes without me puting pressure on it or coughing/sneezing. Just random. painful enough for me to grab my side when it comes & woke me form sleep this a.m.
What do you think? Can i start with urgent care clinic or e.r.? What ?'s & tests should i ask for? (We pay mostly out of pocket even with ins.)
Thank you so much.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A25387
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description of the severe symptoms it is most probable that you might be having stones in the gall bladder or the urinary tract (Renal stones).

You might benefit by consulting your doctor at the urgent care clinic. He might order a ultrasound or a CT scan of the abdomen, in addition to blood test for liver functions and a urinalysis. This might give a clear picture for the cause of your symptoms.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.