Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

A really bad diet... possibly anorexia?

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi, i'm 15, 5"4 and 110 pounds. For the past two years I have rarely eaten a full meal a day if even that. It's not because of financial circumstances. I was admitted into the hospital last summer due to severe iron deficiency and a hemoglobin at 5. The doctors said a normal blood count for my age is 12. I had to get a blood transfusion. The doctors said a lot of the reason why I was in such a critical condition was because I wasn't getting any of my nutrients. After being hospitalized, I started eating more regularly. At the time I was less than 100 pounds. Because of the sudden change in diet, I gained weight rapidly, which I realize is healthy. However, it was really hard for me to accept gaining weight. In fact, I still haven't accepted it. My poor eating habits started to come back a couple months after the transfusion and I have tried losing weight. I know that I am at a good weight, but after being so skinny for so long has made it extremely difficult to accept being this. I am scared of gaining weight because I am surrounded by extremely thin family members. They all eat a lot more than I do, but somehow my sisters manage not to gain any weight. I guess I realize that I have a problem, but I don't know how to fix it without gaining a lot of weight. I go through periods where I eat normally, but recently, I have started worrying more and more about my size and i've started to eat a lot less. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 4th, 2012
I would encourage you to get some kind of therapeutic help, if you can. It seems like you realize on some level that your eating habits are disordered, but it's the weight gain you fear. This is a hallmark of anorexia. The earlier you try and tackle the problem, the better off you'll be. Many women, like myself, go years and years before they seek help, which makes it that much harder to conquer. Try and open up to someone you trust, and allow that person to help you in some way--hopefully by getting you to a therapist who has some specialty in eating disorders. Good luck and take care of yourself. ~M.
|
Did you find this post helpful?