Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

a painful lump under my right armpit!

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
I have a painful lump under my right armpit! What can be the cause and what can be done about it? Breast cancer runs in my family; my sister and three of my aunts!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2011
Breast Cancer Answer A26628
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.‎

Lymph node enlargement is a very common sign and can cause many people to get stressed and ‎lose their sleep.

A few major symptoms and danger signs can help you differentiate very common ‎benign conditions from those indicating conditions like cancer and chronic diseases. ‎

Symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless ‎lymph nodes may indicate conditions like lymphoma or cancer.‎

Smaller single nodes, that are tender to pressure without any other signs mentioned above can ‎signify many common conditions including including upper respiratory tract infections, chronic ‎infections like tuberculosis, local asymptomatic skin infections, etc.‎

The recent onset of a single painful lymph node in the right armpit could be due to a local skin infection. But if it has been persistent for a longer duration could be due to a chronic infection or a systemic disorder.

You might consult a doctor for a physical examination and proper advise. In case of doubt, he might advise you to undergo a biopsy of the lymph nodes for a definitive diagnosis. ‎

I hope this helps

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.