Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

a lump on the front of my neck ?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
User Profile
I have a lump on the front of my neck in the centre, just below my jaw. It is hard and doesn't move. It's not painful, but in the week since I've noticed it, it has got slightly bigger, and theres another, smaller lump developing just next to it. Its currently about 1cm in diameter. I have had a cold lately, but otherwise in perfect health. I just wanted to check if this was normal or if it sounds like something potentially cancerous that I should get checked out.

Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2011
Cancers Answer A23295
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

It is highly unlikely that you might have cancers at your young age.

It is very difficult to interpret, the swellings without a direct examination.

But most probably, they might be inflamed lymph nodes as result of the recent infections.

In case the lumps do not subside within a week or two, you might benefit by consulting a ENT doctor for a physical examination, which might help to give a proper diagnosis.

Treatment with antibiotics and Ibuprofen usually helps to resolve the inflammed lymph nodes in most cases.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: lump, neck, about cold
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.