Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

a lump on my head, my breast is sore...

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
I have a small lump on the back of my neck I also feel tired all the time. In the last few weeks my left breast is sore at the side to touch but I have,nt lost weight I hAve gained it. In the last month I have had on 3 different occasions sore throats. It could be just run down

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2012
Cancers Answer A34836
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

A lump in the neck can be due to multiple causes. The most common cause is a enlarged lymph node. Other causes can arise from soft tissue lumps, infective abscess, thyroid glands, musculoskeletal structures, etc.

Lymph node enlargement is a very common sign and can cause many people to get stressed and lose their sleep. A few major symptoms and danger signs can help you differentiate very common benign conditions from those indicating conditions like cancer and chronic diseases.

Symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless lymph nodes may indicate conditions like lymphoma or cancer.

Smaller single nodes, that are tender to pressure without any other signs mentioned above can signify many common conditions including including upper respiratory tract infections, chronic infections like tuberculosis, local asymptomatic skin infections, etc.

You might consult a doctor for a physical examination and proper advise. In case of doubt, he might advise you to undergo a biopsy of the lymph nodes for a definitive diagnosis.

In the mean time, you can take Advil or Motrin , for a few days, and apply cold packs over the lumps. This measure, will help in resolution of your symptoms to some extent.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.