Over a year ago I went to see a “Westernised” Chinese Doctor – when I say “westernised”, I mean that she studied Chinese Medicine but wasn’t chinese and didn’t grow up there or learn the methods through history. From the onset of meeting her, I didn’t particularly like her. She was very aggressive in her approach and when I told her that I had Endometriosis and that was my reason for seeing her, her response really frightened me and to be honest, I didn’t want to hear anything further she had to say after that…..I can be a little sensitive with certain words, as you can appreciate!
Well, she indicated that Endometriosis, if left untreated, would eventually lead to cancer. Either Endometrial cancer or breast cancer. Nobody particularly likes to hear the word “cancer” and for me, hearing that word, with the close relationship it had with my dad and other family members, it really just made me want to run a mile away.
I know it was silly of me, but perhaps I just wasn’t ready to listen to her. Her approach was perhaps a little strong but the reality is, that there was actually some truth to her theory. …..unfortunately.
What I am realising is that Endometriosis is directly attributed to Oestrogen Dominance. I wrote an article a few months ago about Oestrogen Dominance and that it might be the cause of Endometriosis. I don’t necessarily think it is the direct cause, however it might be the reason the Endometriosis becomes more wide-spread in some of us, versus others. It could be the reason it “spreads” and will continue to spread. Naturally, there are heaps of factors that could cause Endometriosis to proliferate but Oestrogen Dominance does make sense.
See, Oestrogen Dominance is actually quite common in our lives now. Most women probably suffer from some degree of Oestrogen Dominance. We become dominant by some of these factors:
- Our Environment just contains more Oestrogenic mimicking properties – called Xenoestrogens.
- We gain more Oestrogen as we age.
- We are not able to expel the high levels of Oestrogen properly through our livers. Even taking just low doses of drugs, for headaches or anti-biotics will affect the liver.
- Our foods contain Oestrogenic properties.
- If we have been on the contraceptive pill, this will often attribute to Oestrogen Dominance.
Excess Oestrogen actually creates an environment in our bodies for cell growth. Now, this is wonderful, when we are teenagers and we want to grow, get bigger boobs etc but certainly not in our 20′s or in our later years.
The problem is when this cell growth occurs in areas we don’t want it – like in our abdominal cavity, our breasts etc. This includes Endometriosis cells but could then lead to other cell growth in other areas….yes, cancers in the breast and ovaries etc. It does depend hugely on the level of Oestrogen and how much out of proportion it is to the other hormones in the body. See, the body work like a ying, yang with hormones. Kind of like a see-saw. This is especially true with Progesterone and Oestrogen. We don’t want low progesterone, as this will create high Oestrogen. We don’t want high Oestrogen as this will create low Progesterone. So, though the expression is termed as “Oestrogen Dominance”, it doesn’t mean we are only high in Oestrogen. It could mean that we are simply low on Progesterone. The see-saw needs to sit in the middle and both Oestrogen and Progesterone need to be on the same level.
Unfortunately, it is quite “normal” for us to suffer from PMS, which is an early indicator of Oestrogen Dominance. If we then leave this for an extended period of time and contribute to the excessive Oestrogen through our diet, our environment and by not looking after our liver, the situation gets worse. Some women develop cysts, (PCOS) others get Fibroids and obviously our Endometriosis cells develop more. If we then leave this imbalance and add more Oestrogenic elements to create even further imbalances, then it could go to that nasty place….cancer. What makes it take that jump from one to the other and why the body chooses different forms of “expression” to grow in, is anyone’s guess. Unfortunately, this realisation of Oestrogen Dominance directly attributing to cancers is so well documented now, it is scary!
If you really want to get into this stuff yourself, you can watch a Video by David Wolfe, which is quite indepth but really explains it heaps!http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/Articles.asp?ID=383
Thing is, Oestrogen Dominance is actually fairly easy to test and to treat ….completely naturally. Often we don’t realise that so many of the issues we struggle with are in fact caused by Oestrogen Dominance:
- Sore boobs
- Feeling tired and exhausted all the time
- Struggle to lose weight around our hips and thighs
- Poor menstruation or heavy menstruation
Imagine how different your life would be if you didn’t suffer from any of these anymore?
Here are some treatment options, I will be exploring further over the next few weeks:
- Progesterone Creams. What to get. What is really “natural” and how to buy the correct one.
- Progesterone Drops. I discovered this new way of treatment through a book I am reading, which is much more effective, cheaper and is easier to use.
- Treating the liver to not only flush out the excess but also convert the Xenoestrogens correctly, allowing them to “leave” rather than being absorbed into the body further.
Here’s some things we can do in the meantime.
1. Get our hormone levels checked. Check for Estradiol mainly and how this compares to Progesterone.
2. Reduce our Xenoestrogen and high Oestrogen food consumption.
3. Focus on healing your liver with some liver supplements or maybe a liver cleanse. I promise to do the liver flush video tomorrow
If this is really the key to all of our issues with endo growing, then I think we can get this under control fairly easily! That would be cool, wouldn’t it?
Do you have any experience with any of these suggestions? Have you tried a progesterone cream? Did it work? What was it?Author of Cure Endometriosis & Eating with Mel.